Training By Nationally Known Instructors In The Midwest

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Training By Nationally Known Instructors In The Midwest

Postby DanM on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Are there any training courses by nationally-known firearms trainers offered in the (upper) midwest? Guys like Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, John Farnam, or Spencer Keepers. Even a days drive would be better than the desert Southwest or the East Coast.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Re: Training By Nationally Known Instructors In The Midwest

Postby azonesolutions on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm

John Murphy (FPF Training) should be returning to MN (Ahlmans) on July 16 & 17, 2022.
azonesolutions

Postby azonesolutions on Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:12 pm

Tim Herron's schedule already shows he will be back in Iowa again next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to MN also.
azonesolutions

Postby Drizzle on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:24 am

I put up a similar question a while ago, and got a few replies. Unfortunately, here in flyover land, we're still a bit out of the loop, it seems. There used to be a Farnham class in Monticello, and I took ECQC in Morristown, but I think it's hosting as much as teachers that keep us from getting national talent up here. You have to carefully select locals and be willing to drive in the five state area (in practice this usually means WI and IA). Good luck, and I hope we see more too.
Drizzle

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:07 pm

Off the top of my head I can’t list anything for the rest of this year that are open enrollment. Everything I’m aware of is LE/MIL only. Firearms training up here is generally seasonal and we’re at the tail end of what would normally be the training season. That said, national level instructors have cut way back on their training due to a myriad of reasons, primarily related to COVID and the current ammo shortage. Even if this were normal times, by now you’d likely not be able to find anything as the final courses tend to be in Sept/Oct and much of it would be booked full by now. You may find someone pop up here and there in the winter at an indoor range, but it’s rare that it will be open enrollment.

Minnesota has historically been a problematic state for hosting national level firearms instructors for open enrollment courses. We don’t have a major firearms training facility here that routinely hosts a myriad of training. Instead, you have a select number of people sporadically hosting someone at local ranges around the state. In most cases it was the same instructor, so you don’t get a lot of variety.

The best thing to do is to start planning for 2022. Do your research on instructors and see which ones interest you, and then periodically check their websites throughout the winter to see if they have something popping up around the area for 2022. There is a good chance that the ammo supply will continue to stabilize and prices will drop, and if that happens, you’ll probably see more training pop up late winter/early spring.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby DanM on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:57 am

Thank you all for your insights. I will be planning for 2022.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby azonesolutions on Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:32 pm

Bob Vogel June 18 & 19 at East Grand Forks
Tim Herron August 13 & 14 Redwood Falls
John Murphy (FPF Training) at Ahlmans July 16 & 17

Scot Jedlinski has a class at Ahlmans in May, but it is already sold out.
azonesolutions

Return to General Gun Chat