Minneapolis criminals seem to have machine guns now

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:42 pm

https://alphanews.org/78-instances-of-fully-automatic-gunfire-in-minneapolis-so-far-this-year/
More gun control likely can't fix this problem. The types of weapons used in these shootings have been outlawed for 35 years.
There have been 78 instances of criminals firing fully automatic weapons in Minneapolis so far this year, according to ShotSpotter data.

A fully automatic weapon is one which fires more than a single bullet per press of the trigger. They are also known as “machine guns,” have been tightly regulated since 1934 and banned since 1986. Today, collectors are allowed to own machine guns produced before 1986, but high price tags and exceedingly strict regulations make them next to impossible for the average person to acquire. Fully automatic rifles in poor condition cost about $20,000 — higher-quality rifles routinely sell for over $50,000.
jdege

Re: Minneapolis criminals seem to have machine guns now

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:45 pm

That price if you are buying them. Some cartels have them sent up from Central America as military surplus or captured in raids. The shooting on the streets is gang related, gangs sell drugs.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Probably funded with city dollars in order level the playing field with the police. You know systemic racism and all.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Can ShotSpotter reliably distinguish between automatic weapons and well-done bump firing?
Lumpy

Postby 870TC on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Lumpy wrote:Can ShotSpotter reliably distinguish between automatic weapons and well-done bump firing?

Can you?.
Listen here https://twitter.com/CrimeWatchMpls
870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:12 pm

870TC wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Can ShotSpotter reliably distinguish between automatic weapons and well-done bump firing?

Can you?.
Listen here https://twitter.com/CrimeWatchMpls

Package theft?
Holland&Holland

Postby nhluke on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:40 pm

There are bursts on the shot spotter that are definitely full auto. The Friendly Libertarian has posted several recordings of them. I've heard a mag dump twice from a distance and my guess is some type of 9mm with a faster rate of fire than any bump stock or binary trigger. Echos etc effect the sound at the distance I've heard but it was pretty obvious it was an full auto.
It's been going on in the 4th ward for at least a year and it seems to have the same cadence. I don't know if mac 10s or uzis etc can be made to malfunction to run away but it sounds more like that than select fire. I wonder which shop helped file the nfa paperwork.
nhluke

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:46 am

Meanwhile, the police have recovered fewer guns from crime scenes this year than last as the overall rate at which crimes are solved continues to plummet.

I wonder why? :roll:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Meanwhile, the police have recovered fewer guns from crime scenes this year than last as the overall rate at which crimes are solved continues to plummet.

I wonder why? :roll:

What police?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:21 am

My experience is that generally bump fire is more variable burst length and folks who just shoot fast you can tell because it’s not identical shot to shot times. Your ears can pick it up better than you can consciously notice.

As to full auto availability, I’d suspect that most of these are stolen military arms and smuggled guns from outside the country.

I’ve heard from LEO’s that they have captured full auto weapons in busts, and the local DA’s don’t want to mess with it and the US AG’s don’t prosecute common criminals for firearms violations.

We don’t need more regulations. We need the ones we have cut back, and rigorously enforced.

But then that doesn’t appease the brainless “we gotta dooo something” crowd.
crbutler

Postby Grayskies on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Could it be a Rare Breed Trigger, it forces a trigger reset as the bolt finishes it's cycle, it sounds full auto and the ATF is trying to make it illegal but by the letter of the law it is semi-auto.

Enjoy the video at this link.

https://www.rarebreedtriggers.com/
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Lumpy on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:06 pm

Grayskies wrote:Could it be a Rare Breed Trigger, it forces a trigger reset as the bolt finishes it's cycle, it sounds full auto and the ATF is trying to make it illegal but by the letter of the law it is semi-auto.

Clever. In fact I'd say that so much effort has been put into various ways to make a semi-automatic rapid fire while retaining the technical requirement of a trigger pull per round that the antis may well try to enact a new definition of machine gun.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Automatic, bump stock, rare breed trigger…

None of it will matter when the dems get done with the laws.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:17 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Could it be a Rare Breed Trigger, it forces a trigger reset as the bolt finishes it's cycle, it sounds full auto and the ATF is trying to make it illegal but by the letter of the law it is semi-auto.

Clever. In fact I'd say that so much effort has been put into various ways to make a semi-automatic rapid fire while retaining the technical requirement of a trigger pull per round that the antis may well try to enact a new definition of machine gun.

The military taught me full-auto is for firing into groups or for suppressive fire, personally I'd like three round burst but the 2A says shall not infringe and banning full-auto sound infringy to me.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:06 am

That only applies to flintlock rifles. ;)
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News