Bad RCBS die? Or Go/No-Go Gauge? Or....?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Bad RCBS die? Or Go/No-Go Gauge? Or....?

Postby Bergie on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:16 am

I recently came into a bunch of .30-06 casings -Rem, Win, LC, etc, some marked "once fired". I proceeded to punch primers (handheld) then tumbled them clean. I primed them (handheld Lee auto-primer), then thought I best drop them into a go/no-go gauge (I have an older LE Wilson gauge). Interestingly, the cases don't easily drop in. So I ran a few through the RCBS sizing die and they still don't go in easily. I cleaning out the gauge thinking maybe there was grime in there, but no affect. I also put in a new, unfired round and it too didn't go in all the way (went in further, but still not 'seated' flush). Below is a pic of how the casings are sticking out. *note the ring that is around the cases about a 1/4" up from the rim. Is that an indication of a bad die? So do I have a case issue? A die issue? A gauge issue? Or D.) all of the above?!
Attachments
3006 go nogo gauge.jpg
Bergie

Re: Bad RCBS die? Or Go/No-Go Gauge? Or....?

Postby crbutler on Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:56 am

It can be multiple things.

If the ammo was shot in a auto loader, the base can get unusually large if the bolt unlocks early. They also sometimes have wider bases to aid reliability. This results in an oversized case base that most sizing dies don’t adjust to. The solution there is a small base die.

The other possibility is stacking of tolerances. If the gauge is at the smaller end of acceptable, and the cases are at the larger end of tolerance, you could see this as well.

The third would most likely be the case gauge being undersized given that factory ammo is sticking as well.
crbutler

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:46 pm

The "gage" in the picture above is not in a headspace gage, it's a Wilson case holder for their case trimmer. It's suppose to fit tightly, so the case doesn't spin.

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bergie on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:14 pm

Thanks for the gouge on the bases. RCBS has a "small base" sizing die and they describe it like this: The Small Base Sizer Die is for bottleneck type cases used in tight-chambering semi-automatic, pump or lever-action firearms.
So if I plan on using some of the cases in my Garand and the others in my bolt guns, the small base die would be the sizing die for the Garand cases? (Maybe doesn't matter in the bolts?)
Bergie

Postby westhope on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:29 pm

What Rip posted.

This is a Wilson case gage:

https://lewilson.com/case-gage
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Bergie on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:The "gage" in the picture above is not in a headspace gage, it's a Wilson case holder for their case trimmer. It's suppose to fit tightly, so the case doesn't spin.

Let's see, where's the emoji for embarrassed sheep-like tail-between-my-legs run and hide because of my own stupidity?!
Attachments
nevermind.jpg
nevermind.jpg (19.73 KB) Viewed 3378 times
Bergie

Postby DanM on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:44 am

That's how you learn. By asking questions. Too often question askers are ridiculed. But by asking your question I learned something, too. Thanks.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Bergie on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:05 pm

Oh don't worry, next time I see Rip he'll take off his hat and beat me with it!
Bergie

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Let me know if you need 30-06 cases.

I have over 1000.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Ammunition & Reloading