Question about autosears

Discussion of handguns

Question about autosears

Postby Lumpy on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm

Someone asked on another board and I realized I don't know the answer: does the gangsta's favorite toy simply cause a magazine dump malfunction i.e. once it starts firing it doesn't stop until the ammo is gone? Or does it confer controlled automatic fire i.e. it stops if you let go of the trigger?
Lumpy

Re: Question about autosears

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:38 pm

Lumpy wrote:Someone asked on another board and I realized I don't know the answer: does the gangsta's favorite toy simply cause a magazine dump malfunction i.e. once it starts firing it doesn't stop until the ammo is gone? Or does it confer controlled automatic fire i.e. it stops if you let go of the trigger?

As I understand it, the early auto-sears for Glocks - which could be visibly detected by the additional part on the rear of the slide - were controlled fire; release the trigger, firing stops.
That seems to be supported by audio recordings of short bursts of very rapid fire.

From what I heard on 'Live On Patrol', from Ramsey Cty Sheriff Bob Fletcher, commenting on a recent LE Intel conference, there is a new auto-sear showing up. It is completely internal/ visually undetectable, but it does not control fire; once the trigger is pulled, it will fire, full-auto, until the gun runs dry.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby westhope on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:17 pm

once the trigger is pulled, it will fire, full-auto, until the gun runs dry.

Sounds like a room clearing device. Pull the trigger and throw the gun in the room.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:58 am

Incidentally, recently they were in the news in Columbus OH, when ATF director Steve Dettelbach had this to say:

“Those weapons are as Congress said unusually dangerous. They're for the military and the government.

The Founding Fathers would be rolling in their graves to hear that the modern viewpoint is that the military and the government are a special caste above us mere peasants citizens.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Lumpy wrote:Incidentally, recently they were in the news in Columbus OH, when ATF director Steve Dettelbach had this to say:

“Those weapons are as Congress said unusually dangerous. They're for the military and the government.

The Founding Fathers would be rolling in their graves to hear that the modern viewpoint is that the military and the government are a special caste above us mere peasants citizens.

Sums up the government’s position pretty clearly.

Someone should have stated to him, “you are why we have the 2nd amendment”.
Holland&Holland

Return to Handguns