small magnum pistol primers for 40s&w

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

small magnum pistol primers for 40s&w

Postby monschman on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:02 pm

How bad of an idea is this, I got everything else but short of donating a kidney and half my liver I cannot get small standards anywhere. I can get small magnum primers though, as for a mixer I got AA no.5 and power pistol, projectiles could be 180g montana gold fmj's or cast and blast 170g lswc. if there is a possibility of using magnum primers with any of these combos let me know as i want to go shoot dammit.
monschman

Re: small magnum pistol primers for 40s&w

Postby chunkstyle on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:52 pm

monschman wrote:How bad of an idea is this, I got everything else but short of donating a kidney and half my liver I cannot get small standards anywhere. I can get small magnum primers though, as for a mixer I got AA no.5 and power pistol, projectiles could be 180g montana gold fmj's or cast and blast 170g lswc. if there is a possibility of using magnum primers with any of these combos let me know as i want to go shoot dammit.

Very bad idea.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby ttousi on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:19 pm

calling ET.............
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:26 pm

ttousi wrote:calling ET.............

You'll need this.
Attachments
687px-ET_Communicator_Cropped.jpg
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby 1911fan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Munchie. I have spp's for you. Usual delivery location.
1911fan

Postby monschman on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:43 pm

1911fan wrote:Munchie. I have spp's for you. Usual delivery location.

10-4
monschman

Postby Rodentman on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:43 pm

I use SP mag primers all the time in .40 with 6.2g Power Pistol and 180g FMJ's. No issues. No signs of over pressure.

Using a Sig P229.
YMMV.
Rodentman

Postby ComradeBurg on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 pm

I use magnum primers for most of my handgun loading (note I don't load any .40 S&W though). My general rule is start with 10% less powder then normal and work your way up to a load from there.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 am

Really, really bad idea. Magnum primers can jump pressures, and worse yet, they can destroy the uniformity of the load, so one round may be under pressure and another may be over. In addition, the 40 S&W is very touchy in some areas, and you have to know how to put a reproducible taper crimp on the round to keep the bullet from setting back when the round chambers. A setback bullet with a magnum primer is a disaster waiting to happen, and the variability of the round itself will turn a box of ammo into a real game of Russian Roulette. BANG!! [20 times] Hey, these loads shoot fine - Seismic Sam is a scared little old lady! KABLOOEY!!!!! [2 days later in the hospital after they pick all the metal out of your face] Gee!! I wonder what was wrong with THAT ONE ROUND. Uhh, that round was just like all the others. The whole recipe was WRONG to begin with, and you engineered so much variability into a box of laods that it was inevitable that one was going to blow.

And here it is in black and white from Speer Manual #14. 10 rounds of 45-70 with regular primers, and 10 rounds with magnum primers. Notice how the uniformity of the load goes completely to hell with magnum primers. Magnum primers are designed to be used ONLY when regular primers don't work. If you get good ignition with regular primers, going to magnum is asking for trouble. If you get ******* ignition with regular primers and wads of half burned powder in the barrel, THEN you need a magnum primer.

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:13 am

So the 10 grains of Unique I stuffed in .357 magnum casings pushing a 125 grain JHP is a bad idea? LOL

I'm going to light these off with my Coonan after work. They may very well turn out to be "outdoor only" rounds.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Speer #14 lists top load with that bullet as 9.6 grains of Unique. You'll probably get away with it, provided you're not using magnum primers. If you are, you could very well be having a nice cry later tonight over your ruined $1500 collector's piece.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I think I will use regular primers now on the .40 until I run out and then not reload any more until I get some SP regular primers. I don't want to take any unnecessary risks, and it sounds like I am. Thank you for the learned advice.
Rodentman

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Speer #14 lists top load with that bullet as 9.6 grains of Unique. You'll probably get away with it, provided you're not using magnum primers. If you are, you could very well be having a nice cry later tonight over your ruined $1500 collector's piece.
I am using small pistol magnum primers. I stopped at the range on my way home from work and lit them off. They are perfect. I have the same manual you quoted, tried that recipe, wasn't satisfied. I'm happy with the above mentioned recipe.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby chunkstyle on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Really, really bad idea.

Precisely.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Somewhere out there, ET is no longer going home, because you just spun him into a different universe.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading