BERSA FIRESTORM 9MM

Discussion of handguns

BERSA FIRESTORM 9MM

Postby SAM on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Thinking about one of these in the near future. Anyone here have any experience with one ? Pros and cons appreciated.
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Re: BERSA FIRESTORM 9MM

Postby phorvick on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:01 pm

SAM wrote:Thinking about one of these in the near future. Anyone here have any experience with one ? Pros and cons appreciated.
I have both the .380 and 9mm. I love the .380, but just "like" the 9mm. For an inexpensive 9mm, I usually suggest a used Glock. But, the .380 is really nice.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby diskdoctr on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:32 pm

SAM wrote:Thinking about one of these in the near future. Anyone here have any experience with one ? Pros and cons appreciated.

I have a .380 and the Ultra Compact .45. The 45 has over 2000 rounds through it with absolutely no issues. Shoots great, feels great in my hand (I have good sized hands), takes down quickly and easily. Great weapon for a pretty good price. Thunderjohn on this forum has one for 400 bucks with 2 mags.
diskdoctr

Postby SAM on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:10 am

I bought one out at the carry depot and love it. Typical Bersa--pinpoint accuracy-no feeding or extraction problems. I like the way it fits-minimal recoil------sweet little firearm. And of course, the carry depot price (right around $350), how could I go wrong?!?! :D
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby diskdoctr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 am

SAM wrote:I bought one out at the carry depot and love it. Typical Bersa--pinpoint accuracy-no feeding or extraction problems. I like the way it fits-minimal recoil------sweet little firearm. And of course, the carry depot price (right around $350), how could I go wrong?!?! :D

You can't go wrong... For the pricepoint, Bersas are among the finest. I have a UC45 that is my primary carry till I get my Kimber broken in, and it may still keep that spot. I had a Bersa .380 but wife abducted that and I never see it anymore.
diskdoctr

Postby deadeyedick20 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:45 pm

I've got a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact, and have had it about two years now. It has become my favorite all around gun. I have probably put around 2000 rounds through it now, and have started to load my own target rounds. Because of cost I am reloading with lead bullets. The rifling in the barrel of this gun is not your true square shouldered rifling that you see in most guns. I don't think one can call it Polygonal rifling either, as one can see the lands and groves. They just seem to be rounded humps rather than square shoulders. I find myself being a little concerned because Glock, H&K, and Kahr Pistols have Polygonal rifling, and strongly recommend against using unjacketed lead ammo. I do notice a fair amount of lead buildup in the barrel after a round of shooting, and it does require more effort to clean it out, but it always cleans up and leaves a nice shiny finish. If I put a couple of FMJ rounds through it at the end of a shoot, it cleans most of it out although what is left behind is harder to clean out. I'm hoping to get some information as to what this rifling is refered to, and if shooting lead ammo is going to be a problem. I want to say that for the price paid, this has got to be the best value I have found in a hand gun, balance, accuracy, slide operation are all top notch. Plus it's one of the easiest guns to break down for cleaning.
deadeyedick20

Postby diskdoctr on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:47 pm

deadeyedick20 wrote:I've got a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact, and have had it about two years now. It has become my favorite all around gun. I have probably put around 2000 rounds through it now, and have started to load my own target rounds. Because of cost I am reloading with lead bullets. The rifling in the barrel of this gun is not your true square shouldered rifling that you see in most guns. I don't think one can call it Polygonal rifling either, as one can see the lands and groves. They just seem to be rounded humps rather than square shoulders. I find myself being a little concerned because Glock, H&K, and Kahr Pistols have Polygonal rifling, and strongly recommend against using unjacketed lead ammo. I do notice a fair amount of lead buildup in the barrel after a round of shooting, and it does require more effort to clean it out, but it always cleans up and leaves a nice shiny finish. If I put a couple of FMJ rounds through it at the end of a shoot, it cleans most of it out although what is left behind is harder to clean out. I'm hoping to get some information as to what this rifling is refered to, and if shooting lead ammo is going to be a problem. I want to say that for the price paid, this has got to be the best value I have found in a hand gun, balance, accuracy, slide operation are all top notch. Plus it's one of the easiest guns to break down for cleaning.

The Bersaa shoot lead just fine if not the "Pro" model with polygonal barrels. The Warranty gunsmith at Colorado Gun Works (The largest Bersa Warranty Center) says go ahead and shoot lead in the non Pro models. Just do a good cleaning
diskdoctr

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:18 am

You might want to consider taking a slight step up and move to plated bullets. Alot cheaper than jacketed but just a little more than straight lead. As with lead you have to stay of the top end of the load specs, but for target they are the just fine.
mmcnx2

Postby deadeyedick20 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:11 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:You might want to consider taking a slight step up and move to plated bullets. Alot cheaper than jacketed but just a little more than straight lead. As with lead you have to stay of the top end of the load specs, but for target they are the just fine.

Not a bad idea, if you can give me a idea as to where I can locate plated bullets. So far I have only been able to get either lead alloy or FMJ's. I'm only using the lead bullets for target shooting, as the gravel bank behind the target dosen't care what it's diet is
deadeyedick20

Postby ex-LT on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

deadeyedick20 wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:You might want to consider taking a slight step up and move to plated bullets. Alot cheaper than jacketed but just a little more than straight lead. As with lead you have to stay of the top end of the load specs, but for target they are the just fine.

Not a bad idea, if you can give me a idea as to where I can locate plated bullets. So far I have only been able to get either lead alloy or FMJ's. I'm only using the lead bullets for target shooting, as the gravel bank behind the target dosen't care what it's diet is

Berry's Bullets
Ranier Ballistics

I know there's a couple others out there, but those are the only ones that come to mind initially.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Thunderjohn on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 pm

deadeyedick20 wrote:

Maybe Sigfan220 can get you some. He sells lots of brass, bullets, target stands, presses, etc.
And a good guy to deal with.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Return to Handguns