Misfire winchester white box

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Misfire winchester white box

Postby chopper on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:53 am

Went to the range a couple weeks ago with son and grandson and was shooting multiple guns but had a misfire with a 9mm 115gr winchester white box 100 pack I even rechambered and tryed a second time, when I got home I called winchester to tell them about it they wanted the numbers off the box and wanted the round and the box, and sent me a ups shipping label by email, Today I recieved a check from winchester for $35 to replace the box of 9mm.
chopper

Re: Misfire winchester white box

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

I'd say they took good care of you.
Thunder71

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

In case of misfires with a semi-auto (pistol or rifle) you always want to clean the gun and pull the firing pin out of the bolt/slide, and make sure there's no gunk or scraped off primer metal that's partially blocking the pin. If all the firing pin strikes look identical, then that's not the problem, but if some of them look lighter than others then you need to check the firing pin and the channel it's in.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby cobb on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:42 pm

I thought Winchester fixed some of these problems. Several years ago shooters using Winchester White Box in Faribault IDPA matches ha failure to fire, seemed to be more with the .45 acp than the 9mm. I know one shooter seemed to have more problems than others in his H&K in .45 acp, usually a second pull of the trigger fired the round, but not always. He switched to MagTech and never had a that problem again.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby chopper on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:17 pm

cobb wrote:I thought Winchester fixed some of these problems. Several years ago shooters using Winchester White Box in Faribault IDPA matches ha failure to fire, seemed to be more with the .45 acp than the 9mm. I know one shooter seemed to have more problems than others in his H&K in .45 acp, usually a second pull of the trigger fired the round, but not always. He switched to MagTech and never had a that problem again.

A few years ago they had failures because the flash hole was not punched and it also caused jams because the primer would back out I think those were 9mm and 40cal. The one that failed for me I would guess from a primer failure and it had a very good strike on the primer,

Seismic Sam wrote:In case of misfires with a semi-auto (pistol or rifle) you always want to clean the gun and pull the firing pin out of the bolt/slide, and make sure there's no gunk or scraped off primer metal that's partially blocking the pin. If all the firing pin strikes look identical, then that's not the problem, but if some of them look lighter than others then you need to check the firing pin and the channel it's in.

I disassemble my guns completly and clean througly after each use so I am sure it was not a gun issue and continued to shoot another 150 rounds after the misfire without a problem.
chopper

Postby cobb on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:24 pm

chopper wrote:A few years ago they had failures because the flash hole was not punched and it also caused jams because the primer would back out I think those were 9mm and 40cal...

Probably true, but a restrike on a .45 acp would have not fired in that case.

In the past I was a big fan of Winchester primers and factory ammo, but as of late I will stay away from their ammo based on past observations, unless it is for play.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby farmerj on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Back in 2005, bought like 4000 rounds wwb. Had some issues with damaged cases. Sent them pictures of case and also packaging.

They responded then same way as here. Rather solid customer service. Glad to still see they have it.

Quality of product. That's another topic.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby chopper on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:08 pm

The only ammo I have ever had a problem with was a few federal 22's a couple missfires and one with a very light load and one chinese 7.62x39 did not have primer holes punched.
chopper

Return to Ammunition & Reloading