Walmart resuming gun sales

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Walmart resuming gun sales

Postby jaydubs on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:04 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj
http://www.wfaa.com/news/business/Walma ... 31194.html

I've never seen rifles or shotguns in the Walmarts I've visited in Minnesota. Anyone notice any changes hereabouts?

The really ironic thing? I found out about this while reading one of the anti-gun articles from the Huffington Post. Let's just say I'd enjoy the irony of purchasing a firearm based on a lead from an anti-gun article about how fewer and fewer Americans own guns. :twisted:
jaydubs

Re: Walmart resuming gun sales

Postby Chunkychuck on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:22 am

The Walmart in Red Wing has added two spinning racks with about 8-9 long guns in each display. They have been there about two months.
Chunkychuck

Postby solidgun on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 am

I will not buy guns from Walmart and I don't shop there because.....

1. They are anti-gun company. I know they have had the aisle, but people that have followed their stances in the past will know...
2. They sell crap guns.
3. They will create some BS hype about this and then drive the local hunting shops out of business and jump back on the anti-gun bandwagon later on when it suits their business model.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby user293 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 am

solidgun wrote:I will not buy guns from Walmart and I don't shop there because.....

1. They are anti-gun company. I know they have had the aisle, but people that have followed their stances in the past will know...
2. They sell crap guns.
3. They will create some BS hype about this and then drive the local hunting shops out of business and jump back on the anti-gun bandwagon later on when it suits their business model.

you are probably right about 1 and 3 but 2 aint true really. sure wal mart is cheap, and there guns are probably cheaper but they dont manufacture the guns. i bought my savage .243 from there and the thing was great. they stock most popular brands that are just fine. marlin .22's, remington shotguns and rifles, ruger 10/22's, ive even seen weatherby rifles. do all of those fall in the "crap" category? a gun you like is still the gun you like. whoever sells it brand new in the box with the cheaper price tag wins i guess.
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Postby binx159 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:12 am

user293 wrote:
solidgun wrote:I will not buy guns from Walmart and I don't shop there because.....

2. They sell crap guns.

you are probably right about 1 and 3 but 2 aint true really. sure wal mart is cheap, and there guns are probably cheaper but they dont manufacture the guns. i bought my savage .243 from there and the thing was great. they stock most popular brands that are just fine. marlin .22's, remington shotguns and rifles, ruger 10/22's, ive even seen weatherby rifles. do all of those fall in the "crap" category? a gun you like is still the gun you like. whoever sells it brand new in the box with the cheaper price tag wins i guess.

How can they be an anti gun company and be expanding their guns selection to more stores? Will there be a sign recommending people not to purchase? If they are actually 'anti gun' I would expect them to get quite about that fairly soon if not already.
binx159

Postby Tommy Gun on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:26 am

binx159 wrote:How can they be an anti gun company and be expanding their guns selection to more stores? Will there be a sign recommending people not to purchase? If they are actually 'anti gun' I would expect them to get quite about that fairly soon if not already.

See point #3:

solidgun wrote:3. They will create some BS hype about this and then drive the local hunting shops out of business and jump back on the anti-gun bandwagon later on when it suits their business model.

It's the old "one step back, two steps forward" trick. ;)
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby tacticalninja32 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 am

The one in Brainerd has guns, I just hate Walmart in general
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 am

To accuse Wal-Mart of being anti-gun is to make the mistake of believing they have any moral principles or political opinions whatsoever.
Pat Cannon

Postby mrp on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 am

Walmart does not recognize self defense as a basic human right.

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19568
mrp

Postby ex-LT on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 am

Up until about 10 years ago, nearly every Walmart in MN sold guns - as did KMart. When Walmart moved into the Midway store that KMart vacated, it was nearly shot down by the St. Paul city council. It wasn't until Walmart agreed not to sell guns (or hunting supplies of any kind) in that store that the council gave its OK.

As for Walmart being anti-gun, you'd have a hard time proving it by me. Like ninja said, the Brainerd one sells guns, as do the vast majority of the outstate stores. With the exception of Midway and Bloomington, I don't know of any Walmarts that don't sell ammunition, either.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 am

Hate to tell you but Walmart is in the top 5 retailers of firearms in the US(no I don't have a press release to reference, but I do have contact with a number of firearms distributors that acknowledge it). Not only do they handle popular brands they can order just about anything. Would I buy $5000 over under there - nope, would I buy a 22 plinker you bet. And while you guys seemd all worried about driving the local gun shops out of business no one seems to complain about buying white box ammo from them and saving a bunch of cash.
mmcnx2

Postby mnmike59 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 am

mmcnx2 wrote: And while you guys seemd all worried about driving the local gun shops out of business no one seems to complain about buying white box ammo from them and saving a bunch of cash.

:rotf:
Nice Catch!
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby promod1385 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:56 am

Pat Cannon wrote:To accuse Wal-Mart of being anti-gun is to make the mistake of believing they have any moral principles or political opinions whatsoever.

You hit the nail on the head there Pat!

Walmart is all about the dollars, they dont care what they have to sell to make it.

When i moved up here to MN from SD i was amazed the Walmarts didnt have guns (store manager at the Midway StPaul store said they were asked not to carry guns due to all of the violent crimes in the area). I always assumed other Walmarts had guns, i guess this was a state wide type of ban for them.

I am supportive of gun sales regardless of where. Glad to see Walmart is help spreading the love.

To the "crap guns" comment. I bought my Winchester auto 12ga from Walmart, they had one in stock and had the best price around. I couldnt say no.
promod1385

Postby rugersol on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 am

I bought a couple from 'em ... kind of a pain in the ass .. takes ferever jest to git the "right" person to the counter. :roll:

Off the top of my head, I'd say anything that gits more guns into peoples' hands, is better fer us all.

Moreover, I've seen quite a few douchebags, over the years, hangin' out in the local shops ... sometimes even behind the counter (not all of 'em, and not every year) ... seen some folks walk in, and walk out ... empty handed ... and I figured it probly didn't need to turn out that way. Then there's the douchebags at Gouger Mtn ... no, not all of 'em ... but when they are, they're of the largest variety I've ever encountered.

If some noob's ok with spendin' a few hours at Walmart to buy a gun the kid behind the counter couldn't otherwise give a rat's ass 'bout, I don't see as the local shops otherwise "earned" their business. Image

That said, when it suits me, I don't have a problem sometimes payin' a few dollars more to some local shops. Some of 'em, I ain't been to again, in years.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby chudrockz on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 am

I haven't yet seen any shotguns or rifles at the Mankato Wal Mart.

As far as the company being "anti-gun" I'm unconvinced. When we got the Minnesota Personal Protection Act signed into law however many years ago and those godawful "so-and-so bans guns on these premises" signs were proliferating exponentially, I noticed then (and continue to notice now) that Wal Mart does NOT have one.
chudrockz

Next

Return to General Gun Chat